Monday, January 16, 2012

Skippy's 2012 Prediction

So I haven't updated the blog in over two months. I even skipped over my yearly post about the American Family Association's "Naughty or Nice List". I know that's unacceptable, but in my defense Skyrim exists and has been eating up an embarrassing amount of my time.

I'm working on a couple of new posts (honest), but for the time being I'd like to call attention to an important milestone that we passed last month with little fanfare. You see, December 22nd was just a few short weeks ago, which means we're less than a year away from an enormous deluge of excuses for why the world didn't end on December 21st, 2012. Indeed, I have a suspicion that December 22nd, 2012 is going to be a pretty strange day in some corners of the internet.

On the other hand, have you noticed that there's not been as much "2012 Apocalypse" nonsense getting mainstream attention lately? Not even the History Channel, of late a bastion of nonsense and pseudoscience, hasn't been running that many of its countless 2012 "documentaries". Hell, professional lunatic David Icke1, who under normal circumstances is all too happy to incorporate any conspiracy theory he catches wind of into his own staggeringly bizarre worldview, has denounced the 2012 hysteria as a hoax. Why do you think that is?

Well, as we've so recently learned from our eschatological friend Harold Camping, it doesn't pay to make end-of-the-world predictions that you, the prophet, are likely to live long enough to see disproved. As we get closer to seeing the backside of the 2012 nonsense, I suspect we'll see ever more defections from amongst the ranks of the apocalypse stalwarts in order to help them salvage a tiny vestige of credibility with their audience in preparation for the next big end-of-the world panic.

That's my prediction anyway, and one I'm willing to stick with to the end.


______________
1.) Yeah, the guy who thinks the world is run by a conspiracy of shapeshifting intergalactic lizard men and the Jews.

No comments: