Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Thought These Days Were Behind Us...

The battle over "traditional marriage" is flaring up again, but in an unexpected way. See, I thought the current culture war was supposed to be about gay marriage, but Keith Bardwell, a Justice of the Peace in Louisiana, is going retro by refusing to grant interracial marriage licenses. Interracial marriage is, of course, legal in all fifty states and Bardwell is breaking the law by refusing to issue licenses to interracial couples, but he claims that he's actually helping society. How so, you ask? Bardwell says he doing the potential children of such couple a favor because society doesn't accept interracial folks. According to the AP article linked above, Bardwell went on to state that "I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way."

Astounding. Utterly astounding. Bardwell's apparently a Republican, which is hardly surprising. It's constantly amusing to me that for all their complaints about "nanny government" meddling in people's business, conservatives are all too happy to inflict their 19th century values on the rest of us under the guise of "protecting traditional values". Jeeze.

3 comments:

Antagonist Jason said...

On the other hand, it does provide me with an excuse to say "Tangipohoa" out loud.

Jay said...

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way."

And he said that with a straight face, I suppose?

Skippy the Skeptic said...

Some of his quotes sound like something out of The Onion.