Friday, January 02, 2009

Brand New Year, Same Old Crap...

I'd like apologize once again for my total inattention to the blog. The whole grotesque disease thing has played itself out, but the (almost) in-laws were in town all week (and staying with us) so I've been entertaining them. I've also been off from work for most of the last two weeks so I haven't even been able to sneak in the usual micro-posts during my lunch break.

In any event, New Year's has come and gone, and that particular holiday means, of course, two very special things. The first is the big Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel, which, since I don't drink, is honestly the highlight of New Year's to me. The second very special event that comes about every single New Year's is the sudden surge in Nostradamus crap splattered all over television, the internet, and the tabloids. This year the History Channel ran a suite of doomsday prophecy shows that all tried to blend Nostradamus' rantings with the recently manufactured 2012 nonsense that's been floating around in the kook community for the last couple of years like so many bits of half-digested corn in a public toilet.

There's something vaguely funny about how every year we get a fresh set of nutjobs talking about doomsday this or apocalypse that. A few years ago it was year 2000 bullocks - this year it's 2012. In 2012 it'll switch to, I dunno, 2015, once again with a resounding "this time for sure" from the prophecy crowd. Seems like it's time once again for yet another look at the ever-growing list of doomsday prophecies that failed.

It seems like the more things change the more they stay the same...

4 comments:

Jason said...

Here's the thing: In 2015, the 1985 version of Marty will encounter his 2015 self, causing a disruption in the space-time continuum, which will have universal repercussions.

May I ask why you don't drink? I grew up fundamentalist in New Orleans, so everyone I knew was either a Christian or they drank LOTS of alcohol. There wasn't really an in between. Then I moved to Seattle and met a bunch of people who aren't religious, but don't drink alcohol, and some that aren't religious and do drink but despise getting drunk.

And then there's Penn & Teller. It's just something that fascinates me. I hope it's not too personal a question.

Fox no sox said...

I haven't gotten a whole lot of the doomsday talk. Kats new thing is orbs. She takes pictures of everything and sees these orbs of light, so of course our house is haunted.

The only thing i'm haunted by is retail, which thankfully is back to normal. Lets hang out :D

Skippy the Skeptic said...

"Here's the thing: In 2015, the 1985 version of Marty will encounter his 2015 self, causing a disruption in the space-time continuum, which will have universal repercussions."

That honestly makes more sense than just about any of the crazy explanations offered up by the internet kooks.

As for why I don't drink, I'm not a big fan of things that "fuzz the edges", if I can borrow a term from James Randi. I want to be able to think as clearly as possible and be as independent as I can from things that alter my perceptions.

Jason said...

Thanks Skippy. That is very commendable.