Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Quantum of Plot...

This is completely off topic, but I just got back from a showing of the new James Bond movie Quantum of Solace and I have to say that it barely felt like a James Bond flick. It was more like a two hour-long action scene that had some little crumbs of plot scattered around here and there, and maybe that's what passes for a spy movie these days, but it ain't James Bond. I'm also not sure who decided that the best way to shoot chase/fight scenes was to use dozens of 1/2 second cuts from 14 different camera angles, such that the viewer (or I, at least) can't tell what the hell is going on.

Oh well. Quantum of Solace is better than the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies, but I'm still crossing my fingers for the eventual return of Sean Connery to the role.

As I was leaving I also passed an enormous queue of 13 year-old girls in Halloween costumes waiting to get into a midnight showing of Twilight. Are weepy, limp-wristed, girly-man vampires still that popular? Seriously? I was hoping that subgenre had died out with Anne Rice's conversion to fiery-eyed Christianity...

No comments: