Sunday, October 12, 2008

Skippy vs. Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Pumpkinhead, Wolf Man, and the Mummy...

Just a heads up - I may not be posting on here quite as regularly as usual this month. As the profile in the sidebar notes, I'm a fan of bad (re: horror and sci-fi) movies and October is the one time of year that my girlfriend dares not to oppose me when I embark on horror film marathons. Even as I type this I'm watching "Maximum Overdrive", the unintentionally hilarious Stephen King film about a comet that brings all the machines on earth to life and leaves them hungry for human blood.

As some of you may have guessed, I freaking love Halloween. I've enjoyed it since I was a kid, and not just for the candy and costumes. (Which isn't to say that candy and costumes aren't awesome.) Monster movies are also an integral part of the season as far as I'm concerned, and they have been since my (much older) brothers let me watch "Nightmare on Elm Street" when I was freakin' six years old. The girlfriend is also a big fan of Halloween, though for her the season means something more along the lines of taping cardboard Frankenstein monsters to the walls and hanging dozens of plastic spiders from the ceiling rather than kicking back* with a pile of DVDs. The apartment complex where we live is flanked on either side by large churches that host damnable "Trunk or Treat" events that prevent us from getting a single knock on the door on Halloween (Last year I donned an ape suit and wandered the neighborhood knocking on doors myself and giving candy away for fear of being left with a massive surplus.) so for me the focus of the season has shifted towards watching as many horror movies as I can in 31 days.

My movie database, which is far from complete at the moment, says I have approximately 135 films under the heading "Horror". Thus far I've probably watched about 10-15 this season. Realistically I've no intention of trying to watch them all of course, but I still consider it to be a windmill worth tilting at. I'm apparently insufferable to be around when I'm watching these movies - I can't stand just to watch, I want to talk about them, to discuss trivia, to compare one monster to another, to point out -repeatedly- that Thom Mathews was in the first two "Return of the Living Dead" movies and "Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives". As I've alluded to on here a few times in the past, I was a huge fan of Joe Bob Briggs' MonsterVision back in the day and I have a deeply hidden but profound longing to be a cable horror movie host. Well, this time of year that part of me really comes to the surface and my friends and relatives have learned to turn and flee when they see me approaching with a stack of DVD cases in my arms.

Well, in any event, what all this means is that I won't be sitting in front of the computer quite as much as usual for the next three weeks or so. Come November things will be back to normal.

*Does anyone say "kicking back" anymore? Outside of beer commercials, that is.

4 comments:

Garret said...

Fantastic! Have fun brother! I am sure you have Creepshow in your collection- I just love "Happy Fathers Day", I WANT MY CAAAAAKE. and the next one that stars Stephen King as the backwards yokel who discovers the horror of "meteor shit". A classic little movie of short horror stories! I introduced them to my ten year old boy, and I had the pleasure of watching him jump practically to the ceiling when the fathers day skeleton punches out of the ground! Ha!

Skippy the Skeptic said...

I've always been a fan of the "Something to Tide You Over" sequence, myself. I read online that they recently released a Creepshow 3 straight to video, but to all appearances it's completely awful.

Garret said...

Yeah great sfx in every story there.
Take care

JAK said...

I always liked "The Crate" (I think that was the name of the segment). The notion of a monster locked in a box for who-knows-how-long and stuffed under the stairs always somehow reminded me of the under-stair closet at my folks' house that they never bothered to put a light in...