Thursday, April 24, 2008

Local Flavor Pt. I: The Sasquatch In My Backyard...

Today I stumbled upon the website for the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization and just for fun I went to their geographical database and looked for local Sasquatch attacks and whatnot. Turns out that there's a recorded Sasquatch event not only in my city, but in the very neighborhood where I grew up. Alas, it pre-dates me by 11 years or so, but according to the report, eerie Sasquatch calls where throughout my neighborhood during the summer of 1971. Now, this isn't a "sighting" mind you, since the guy reporting it didn't see anything, he just heard some spooky noises, -but- he's pretty sure it was a Sasquatch.

To give you an idea of the area we're talking about, Pleasure Ridge Park is, even in 2008, not entirely suburbs. A few blocks down from my parents' house is a set of yards chock full of horses and goats. As a child, my next door neighbors had a pony (with a penchant for escaping his enclosure and munching on my mom's plants), and the people across the street from us kept chickens until I was in middle school. Two sides of the neighborhood are cut off by a large flood ditch, which figures prominently in the report, and there are still woods there to this day. PRP isn't farmland by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a different sort of suburbs than most folks are used to.

One thing that I should point out that is not mentioned at all in this fellow's report is that PRP is also filled to the brim with dogs. At least every second house in the neighborhood has one or two of the things, and most of them run free at night. My childhood was terrorized by one such creature, a neighborhood Doberman named Adolf who was easily capable of clearing his owner's fence. Dogs account for most of the sounds you hear at night in Pleasure Ridge Park, with the rest accounted for by frogs and drunk folks.

While the fellow who reported the 1971 Sasquatch didn't manage to record the incident, he does say the the noise he heard was strikingly similar to this noise archived on the website. One thing of note is that there is a barking dog in the recording, along with what sounds, to me anyway, a lot like another dog lowing in the distance. I have to suspect, based on reading the report and the fellow recounting it noting that he had forgotten about the event until listening to the above recording, that maybe some of the details are being distorted through the lens of memory. There's a lot of scary noises at night when you're a 10 year-old kid (as the guy who submitting this "sighting" was when the event happened), but a scary noise does not a Sasquatch make.

5 comments:

Garret said...

Frequent with these reports is a very strong odor. Coast to Coast has played many recordings of the "Sasquatch" and interview of the witnesses involved.
Peace to you

JAK said...

Interesting, Skippy.

When I was a kid, I had a cousin who could've passed for a Sasquatch. He used to shamble through the neighborhood looking for my little brother, who is somewhat Sasquatch-like himself...

Skippy said...

I encounter my fair share of odors in the course of my job that could easily pass for a Sasquatch.

Garret said...

"I encounter my fair share of odors in the course of my job that could easily pass for a Sasquatch."

LOL, me too, we call 'em "grips"

Jason said...

I talk to a lot of skeptics who try to convince me that the supernatural is not real, but I KNOW that it's real, because one time I heard a ghost cat.