Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Golden Compass

Well, I made it out to The Golden Compass the other night, and I have to say that it's not the ferocious atheist recruiting tool that it has been made out to be by various aspects of the Christian Right. It was, in fact, a decent enough movie, though I can't see myself paying to see it again in the theaters. It seems to be the case that fantasy just isn't my schtick these days. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I wasted my money or anything, but it wasn't a film that really stuck with me past the closing credits.

The funny part, of course, is that now some of the rightists are complaining that it isn't ferociously atheistic enough. What!?! Well, it turns out that since the film's anti-theistic message has been toned down from the books, it's now an insidious atheist trap to trick Christian children into reading the books and therefore going to hell. No lie. Check out the Christian Spotlight on the Movies review here. This "review", such as it is, spends the first half dozen paragraphs or so shrieking and moaning about Phillip Pullman and only talks about the film as a bit of an afterthought at the end.

What it comes down to is this- Atheistic views, whether stated in a fierce and forward fashion or in a circumspect and "inoffensive" way, will always be loathed and hated by the religious folk. Somehow it will always be somehow "unfair" and "persecutorial" for atheists to say what's on their minds. I'm inclined these days to agree with P.Z. Meyers - if speaking our minds quietly is unacceptable anyway, then we may as well just speak our minds as loudly as possible.

No comments: