Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bumper stickers rule

I rarely feel threatened on a personal level by my religious neighbors. Granted, I don't walk around wearing a shirt that says "atheist" on it either, but in general I want to think that most people aren't quite as reactionary as a casual glance at the internet would have you believe. Heck, I live about 20 yards away from a giant Protestant church, and aside from causing tons of traffic congestion every Wednesday night and Sunday morning, they're pretty nice people. Heck, one of them even gave me a cookie the time I passed out after giving blood there.

That being said, one thing that I've been reluctant to do for a long time is put a good ol' fashioned atheist bumper sticker on my car. Tires and tail lights are expensive, man. Still, every so often I'll sit around looking at some of the swanky stuff on Cafe Press and wishing I had more cajones. Recently I've been even more inspired because of the awesome sign erected by the Connecticut Valley Atheists, so I think the time for my first atheist bumper sticker is nigh. At this point I've narrowed it down to three finalists:

- A point I've been trying to make for years.

- Short and sweet.

- Awesome, if not as 'in your face' as I might like.

The problem is that I live in Kentucky, and the gigantic "Hell is Real" billboard you encounter shortly after you cross the river from Cincinnati sets a bit of a tone. There's an extent to which some of the more "pious" folk around here just aren't satisfied with the whole "agreeing to disagree" thing.

No comments: