Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Congratulations, Dr. Laemmle!

I found out this afternoon that Dr. Phil Laemmle is being inducted into the University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences Hall of Honor tomorrow. I only had Dr. Laemmle for one or two classes in college, but he's an unforgettable guy. His enthusiasm for and exhaustive knowledge of political science, combined with a genial bluntness*, made him a favorite of all the poli-sci undergrads. The course I took from him revolved around using programs like SPSS to sort and analyze hard data - a far cry from the largely rhetorical international conflict and terrorism courses I favored - and it's no exaggeration to say that I never would have made it through the final paper of my senior seminar without his patient tutelage.

Dr. Laemmle had a profoundly positive effect on the educational lives of who-knows-how-many students and I'm happy to hear that he's being honored by the University. It's hard to think of anyone more deserving.


* I ended up having to complete several extra hours to graduate because I took too many political science courses. Dr. Laemmle helped me to set up my course load for my last two semesters to minimize the amount of extra courses I'd have to take...all the while reminding me that I was a "dumbass" for getting myself into that predicament.

No comments: