Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's Officially Spring!

Some people mark the coming of spring by a simple calendar date or the appearance of their favorite bird. I have a different rule: spring is here when the first street preachers show up. I saw my first street preacher of the season today, so it really must be springtime! I'm not completely sure, but I think the guy I saw today was my old favorite, Brother Rod, aka the guy who's always hollering at people in front of the Frisch's Big Boy. (In any event, he was yelling the URL of Rod's website.) Today he'd taken his ministry down the road a ways to the hedonistic wilds of the Moby Dick in order to win converts from the fish and chips set.

Nothing says "I have a set of well-reasoned theses as to why you should convert to my religion" quite like a dude in a lawn chair yelling at cars while holding up a cardboard sign that says "Heaven or Hell".

In Rod we trust? Brother Rod, shown here during one of his "cross walks", is a fixture of Dixie Highway during the warmer months.

5 comments:

JAK said...

I think I've seen him before. I wonder how he counts the souls he's saved? Maybe just the ones that stopped long enough to hear his schtick.

universalheretic said...

Great measurement of spring! Fortunately, my town's too small to get the street preachers.

Skippy the Skeptic said...

He's affiliated with some church, so I'd almost be willing to bet that about 95% of his "saved souls" are just folks associated with his congregation.

JAK said...

Someone should point out to him that having a wheel on your cross is cheating...

Antagonist Jason said...

Should I have fish and chips for dinner?