Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Good Cause in Need of Support...

I'm sitting here watching the UFC "Fight for the Troops" and now seems as a good a time as any to suggest that any readers looking for a good non-religious charity to support should have a look at the Fallen Heroes Fund. It's a fund set up by Intrepid Museum Foundation and is dedicated to helping injured veterans and their families. The Fallen Heroes Fund is currently looking to establish a Traumatic Brain Injury research and treatment facility, and that's one hell of a worthwhile goal.

As my sidebar states, I'm a social services worker and I do almost all of my work with people who have mental disabilities. One of the gentlemen that I provide services for is a former military serviceman who suffered a traumatic brain injury during the first Gulf War. This brave guy was once a highly trained soldier - now he can barely talk and needs help to go to the bathroom. I can't think of very many things that are scarier than that. Trust me, I've seen firsthand the havoc that a traumatic brain injury can wreak on a person, and any research that may lead to more effective treatments for TBI is worth supporting. Seriously, check out the Fallen Heroes Fund and help support our returning veterans.

No comments: