Thursday, May 15, 2008

The End of the World As We Know It...

I have to confess that there's a certain aesthetic to films from the 40s, 50s, and 60s that I find appealing. I suppose it has a lot to do with the degree of unintentional camp that goes into them. In any event, I get a lot of mileage out of the old public service films from way back when, stuff like Soapy the Germ Fighter and Duck and Cover (Remember, if an atomic bomb goes off next to you, look out for falling glass and cover up with a newspaper!). With that in mind, I was perusing Youtube for that sort of thing yesterday and I made an amusing discovery.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that there were also public service films from the 1940s about the Rapture, but there are. They're almost exactly as convincing as all the Rapture films made recently, which is to say that they're extraordinarily hokey. I've embedded one below in two parts. Honestly these aren't a lot of fun to watch, but it's an educational experience to see just how the fundies did their fear-mongering in the years before Tim LaHaye and Kirk Cameron. Enjoy.




3 comments:

Garret said...

I love it Skippy! Craching trains and milk not being delivered- who could ask for more?
The missing dialog of the daddy to his girl, because mommy got raptured-
"Susie, what are you worried about? Come on, sit on daddys lap and bounce like when mommys not here. Then we can read Darwins "On the Origin of Species" and laugh at God."

ARE YOU READY? :*)

JAK said...

Garret -

Insinuations of child sexual abuse are just inappropriate in any context.

Pretty fucking classless.

Garret said...

hmmmmm. ummmmhmm. quite. They should have not had that dialog at all.