Saturday, April 12, 2008

Plugging another book...

Reader JAK mentioned the book Elephants on Acid and Other Bizarre Science Experiments a few weeks ago while discussing my post about Illya Ivanov's ape-man experiments. I picked it up to have something to read while I was in PA last week and I have to give it my recommendation. Written by Alex Boese, author of the also awesome Museum of Hoaxes, it's a very fast read that is essentially a collection of abstracts of various peculiar and inobvious experiments from the 1800s to the present. Each experiment discussed is also tagged with a relevant journal article for further reading (and, I suspect, to prove that he's not making it up).

This is a fairly lightweight book and is presented, according to the author, in a style appropriate for "bathroom readers", so there's not an enormous amount of technical detail here, but it's a fun read and serves as a good mental palate-cleansing in between more serious works. Check it out.

Oh, and Boese also has a website here.

No comments: