Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another weird monster...

My brother recently clued me in on the existence of something called a goblin shark. I'd never heard of the things before, though I'd unknowingly seen one portrayed in a movie. Looking at the thing, it strikes me that if I'd happened to encounter one of those on a trip the beach or something I'd have probably described it as some kind of monster. Seriously - it looks like a big shark with a mutant human head. I can only suspect that I'd have had a full pair of trunks after seeing unexpectedly something like that.

There's a lot of freaky stuff cruising around there in the ocean, and I suspect that large numbers of monster sightings are really just peculiar critters that us landlubbers just aren't used to seeing.

(I'm aware that there's not a lot of content to this post, but I'm continually amazed by the variety and sheer weirdness sea life and I wanted to immortalize the goblin shark before real life made me forget about it.)

6 comments:

Jason said...

And yet you have no trouble believing that it evolved JUST BY RANDOM CHANCE!

JUST KIDDING! Goblin sharks are amazing. The greatest thing about the internet is that you can actually find VIDEO of them!!

Skippy said...

Heh.

Honestly the fact that they're so weird makes me all the more surprised that I hadn't heard of the tings before a few days ago. You'd think freaky stuff like that would show up on National Geographic more.

Jason said...

Have you heard of the Hobgoblin shark? It's the son of the Goblin shark. But then you find out that the Goblin shark hasn't been dead, he's just been in Europe all this time.

Skippy said...

I believe the hobgoblin shark also has slightly more hit points and a better armor class.

(I disgracefully missed the Spider-Man reference on the first reading. ;_; )

JAK said...

I've always thought the freaky things were better examples of evolution than a whole clade of similar things.

A whole bunch of homologous features almost supports some kind of creator concept (if you squint), but the bizarre outliers like Goblin sharks really point to a natural process spinning down a side path.

Jason said...

Actually, the existence of the Goblin shark is better evidence for my own new theory, Deranged Design.